Re: just a newbi problem, want to use festival, not flite with emacspeak

    actually I can't even have emacs run on my computer because I don't
    have .deb packages with all its dependencies for emacs.

That is very strange, since Emacs version 21 installs fine on my
Debian system.  It comes across to me that Ubuntu must be creating
some bug.  Back in 2005, according to my notes, I just did

    apt-get install emacs21 emacs21-bin-common emacs21-common emacs21-el

and succeeded fine.

    I have been requesting some one to direct me for at least compiling
    every thing by hand.

Here are my notes.  Mostly, I let Debian do the installations, but for
a few things, I do build.

For Emacs

I do not know how to access CVS anonymously, but this tells us:

    http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs

    # on a local machine
    #  pushd <local-directory-where-you-keep-sources>
    # As an anonymous user:
    #  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxx:/sources/emacs co emacs
    # except I seem to use /cvsroot/ rather than /sources/

and I found this documentation at

    https://savannah.gnu.org/faq/?question=CVS_-_How_to_do_anonymous_access.txt

        We have been asked how to access CVS anonymously

        Each project has a CVS link pointing to such information,
        which you can find at the top of the project page, in the
        Public Areas links line.

        For example, check the top of
        http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs

        The link points to http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs
        which contains information on how to anonymously access the
        Emacs CVS repository.

        Just replace 'emacs' in the url by the project system name
        you're interested in, or just click on the "CVS" link in that
        project page to get appropriate information.

        Oh, and to find a project page, just search the project name
        using the search box in the Savannah menu on your left :)

        Updated $Date: 2005/07/30 19:10:01 $

Also, I mostly update and build in Emacs by simply evaluating `progn'
expressions with functions in it like `cvs-update' and `compile', but
the shell commands are as follows:

#  as a regular user with default gcc (which for me is currently
#  version 4.1, but when this was first written was the version was
#  considerably lower)

    cd <local-directory-where-you-keep-sources>/emacs/
    make clean
    ./configure --with-type1 --prefix=/usr/local --with-sound=yes
    time make bootstrap

# you may not want to specify the font addition (type1)

# `make bootstrap' takes a long time (forty minutes or more for me;
# afterwards, when you update, a plain `make' does fine; that may take
# very little time; maybe a plain `make' would work for a checkout;
# for second and subsequent builds, look at `make bootfast', too).

# Mostly, for second and subsequent builds, I do a `make recompile'
# and a `make info html', which are very fast, just to make sure all
# the Emacs Lisp files are OK, and then a plain `make', which handles
# the C sources, too.

# [as user `root']

    time make install

## end emacs

## For Eflite

# This is from 2005 May 25; there is a more recent version available.
# The <local-directory-where-you-keep-sources> is /usr/local/src/
# The regular user is user `bob'.

 pushd /usr/local/src/
 wget -c http://unc.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/eflite/eflite-0.3.9.tar.gz

 tar xvzf eflite-0.3.9.tar.gz
 cd /usr/local/src/eflite-0.3.9

# [as user `bob']
 ./configure && make

# [as user `root']
 pushd /usr/local/src/eflite-0.3.9
 make install

# The install put the eflite executable into /usr/local/bin/eflite
# So I copied it as root to /usr/bin/eflite

    ls -al /usr/local/bin/eflite /usr/bin/eflite
    cp /usr/local/bin/eflite /usr/bin/eflite

# Then I ran Emacspeak which seems to work fine.
## end eflite

## For Festival, as of 2002 Feb 25

    http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/

# I don't have any information since then, since it all is in Debian
# and installs great!

## end festival

## For Emacspeak, as of 13 Aug 2006, the new project page is:

        http://code.google.com/p/emacspeak

To checkout the code from SVN, follow the instructions on

        http://code.google.com/p/emacspeak/source
Thus:

        svn checkout http://emacspeak.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ emacspeak

    The above will create a directory called emacspeak with the code under
    it; obviously, you should do this somewhere different from where you
    have your current copy of emacspeak.

    There is an excellent on-line book about Subversion available at

        http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

# as a regular user

    cd <local-directory-where-you-keep-sources>/emacs/
    time make config
    time make emacspeak

# as user `root'

    cd <local-directory-where-you-keep-sources>/emacs/
    time make install

## end emacspeak

## As for speechd-el, as of 2006 Jan 7, its Web page is:

    http://www.freebsoft.org/speechd-el

but I do not have notes on installing it, except that it is in Debian

    apt-get install speechd-el speech-dispatcher \
       libspeechd1 speech-dispatcher-festival -s

My other notes say,

# To use Speech Dispatcher with Festival

   festival --server &
   /etc/init.d/speech-dispatcher start

# In Emacs, evaluate:

(setq load-path (cons "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd-el/ " load-path))
(load "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd-el/speechd")
(load "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd-el/speechd-speak")
(load "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd-el/speechd-version")
(load "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd-el/speechd-bug")

# In Emacs

    M-x speechd-speak

# To stop

    /etc/init.d/speech-dispatcher stop
    spy festival
    kill `spy festival`

## end speechd-el

## For espeakf, its Web page is:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/espeakf/

# My notes say that as of 2005 March 27, CVS revision 1.10 is current;
# according to the README file, this is version 0.3.

# My notes also provide in Emacs Lisp an expression to evaluate and
# say that

# [as user `bob' in /usr/local/src/espeakf/ ]

# [succeeded on 2006 Jul 27 after changing /usr/local/src/espeakf/CVS/Root  to
#     :pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxx:/cvsroot/espeakf ]

(progn
  (cd "/usr/local/src/espeakf")
  (cvs-update "/usr/local/src/espeakf" t))

## end espeakf

That is all.

--
    Robert J. Chassell