Re: just a newbi problem, want to use festival, not flite with emacspeak

On 23/09/06,  <> wrote:

> Just a few points which may be of interest in this thread.
>
> Festival is a very powerful and configurable TTS. It can support quite
> a few different voices and has a lot of parameters which can be
> tweaked to improve synthesis. The "out of the box" configuration is a
> general default that is likely to meet most users requirements.
> However, I found (quite some time ago) when playing with festival, I
> could get better performance tweaking some of the settings associated
> with festival and the voice tools. Unfortunately, it was a while ago
> and I dont actually remember what all the tweaks were.
all right.  do you at least remember was it used with speach-dispatcher?

> Festival supports voices from other sources and in many distributions,
> you will get different quality voices - for example, in Debian, there
> are both 8k and 16k voices for US/UK english. The 8k voices don't have
> the same quality, but will probably give better performance on slower
> machines with less memory.
I have 256 mb ram with a p4 1.4 ghz processor and an amd duron machine
with 128 ram.  what will be the performance on these two?
by the way, I have given up my crave for deb packages of emacspeak for ubuntu.
I emailed the ubuntu-accessibility team, but they seam more interested
now a days in orca.
it is good but right now I really need emacspeak.
can some one give me idea of what tools I will need to compile
emacspeak and where do I get all the sources.
I don't even have emacs and no emacspeak of course.
apt-get wont work at my place because the protocol my ISP has given is
not working on my linux system.
so I am in windows when I use internet.
please help me if any one can.